Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programmes in Life Sciences & Physical Science
Bose Institute and University of Calcutta
Centenary Building (Kankurgachi), Bose Institute,
P 1/12 CIT Scheme, VIIM, Kolkata 700054
Phone no.: 033 2569 3311
ADVT. NO.: BI/08/mscphd/2012-13
An Integrated M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programme on Life Sciences (duration approximately 6 years) has been introduced at the Bose Institute, Kolkata, in collaboration with the Calcutta University in 2011. This programme is designed to scientifically orient the students towards research immediately after graduation. As this course is taught by established scientists from different research areas, students are directly exposed to various modern aspects of ongoing global research activities from the beginning.
Applications are invited for admission to the academic session 2012-2013 from motivated Honours Graduates with good academic record from any branch of science. Not more than twenty (20) students in Life Sciences and five (5) in Physical Science will be admitted on the basis of their good academic record as well as performance in the eligibility tests.
During M.Sc. course all the students will be offered a fellowship of Rs. 9,000.00 per month. However, for continuation of the fellowship, the student should secure 60% or above marks and maintain the required percentage of attendance in the classes in each semester.
The areas of specialization of the course of Life Sciences are: (i) Plant Molecular Biology & Biotechnology, (ii) Molecular & Cellular Biology, (iii) Biophysical Chemistry, and (iv) Computational & Systems Biology.
The areas of specialization of the course of Physical Science are: (i) Astroparticle Physics & Space Science, (ii) Quantum Computational & Information, (iii) Complex System, (iv) Condensed Matter Physics.
Students will have to opt for any of the above specializations at the time of admission (number of students in each area will be decided by Board of Studies). However, based on certain criteria to be decided by the Board of studies, there may be a provision for change of specialization after the successful completion of second semester.
On successful completion of 2-years of M.Sc. course, students may be admitted to the Ph.D. programme under the supervision of faculty members of Bose Institute upon fulfilling the eligibility criteria set by the Board of Studies for the Ph.D. programme following the guideline of University Grant Commission, Government of India as mentioned in the Prospectus (Life Sciences or Physical Science).
Students failing to fulfill the eligibility criteria for Ph.D. programme after successfully completing the M.Sc. curriculum will receive M.Sc. degree in Life Sciences/Physical Science with specific specialization. M.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees will be awarded jointly by Bose Institute and the Calcutta University.
Eligibility for application:
Candidates securing at least 65% marks each in Madhyamik and Higher Secondary (10+2) or their equivalent examinations of which 70% aggregate marks should be in science subjects, and more than 60% marks in B.Sc. (Honours) in any branch of Science, or B.Tech/B.E /MBBS examinations from any recognized Board/ University/Institution etc. are eligible to apply for Life Sciences Programme whereas for Physical Science applicant must have passed B.Sc. Honours in Physics, B.E., B.Tech. or other equivalent examinations.
Candidates whose final results of the examination are awaited may still apply on the basis of the results of their last examination. However, their admission will be subject to securing at least 60% marks in the final examination.
Reservation of seats:
Reservation of seats for candidates belonging to SC/ST and Other Backward Classes (OBC) shall be in accordance with the reservation policy of the Government of India.
Schedule of events and important dates:
Application and Prospectus:
The candidates can download prospectus and should apply online - Life Sciences or Physical Science followed by submission of hard copy application (A copy of the same will be automatically generated for the candidate on submission). The candidate should take a print out, paste a recent passport size color photograph and mail it along with all necessary documents to Dean of Studies, M.Sc.-Ph.D. Programme, Room No. 403 (Annexe Wing), Bose Institute Centenary Building, P-1/12, C.I.T. Scheme VII M, Kolkata 700 054. Please mention clearly in the envelop about the discipline (Life Sciences or Physical Science) one has applied for. The hard copy should reach Dean’s office by July 16, 2012. Late submissions or incomplete applications will not be entertained.
Instruction to candidates
1. Only applications received online will be processed (17.00 hrs. IST on 10-07-2012). Candidate should send the hard copy of the online application (with applicant’s code which will be generated only after submitting the application) along with attested copies of all certificates and testimonials and a recent color passport size photograph.
2. The System will not accept any online application after 17.00 hrs. IST on 10-07-2012.
3. Copies of Certificates/Testimonials need not be attached at the time of online application.
4. Eligibility criteria including the upper age limit will be reckoned on the last date of submission of application, i.e., on 10th July, 2012.
5. The names short-listed candidates will be posted on website only. No individual letter will be sent.
6. Before applying, the applicants should ensure that they posses at least the essential qualifications and other conditions stipulated in the advertisement. If a candidate is found not eligible, his/her candidature will be cancelled at any stage of the recruitment. (It may be noted that even if a candidate qualifies in the test/ interview and subsequently it is found that he/she does not fulfill the eligibility criteria, his/her candidature will be cancelled).
7. The prescribed essential qualifications are the minimum and mere possession of the same does not entitle a candidate to be called for written test and /or interview. If the number of applications becomes large, the Institute may resort to short listing criteria to restrict the number of candidates to be called for the interview to a reasonable limit by written test and/or any other criteria.
8. The interested and eligible candidates may keep a watch at this site for any amendment.
9. No interim queries will be entertained except technical queries regarding online application. For any such queries contact Webmaster
10. Canvassing or bringing influence in any form will disqualify the candidature.
11. The Institute Authority reserves the right to reject any/all applications without assigning any reason whatsoever.
1. Names of short listed candidates called for written test and/or interview will be announced only at the Bose Institute website. No separate intimation will be forwarded.
2. The students admitted in the Bose Institute shall abide by the Rules and Regulations of the Bose Institute and Calcutta University as prescribed from time to time.
3. The right to change/modify any or all condition(s) prescribed in this prospectus is/are at the sole discretion of the Bose Institute and Calcutta University.
4. Students leave the Programme before completion of two years have to refund
the entire scholarship money.
5. Security deposit amounts will be refunded at the end of 4th semester.